Monday, December 17, 2012

You Are Not Your Robot

I think this is an interesting commentary from: http://sstephenson.us/posts/you-are-not-your-code
"I have learned that in the open-source world, you are not your code. A critique of your project is not tantamount to a personal attack. An alternative take on the problem your software solves is not hostile or divisive. It is simply the result of a regenerative process, driven by an unending desire to improve the status quo."

I think this easily applies to robotics.  I know in the past folks have pointed out faults in my designs or made improvements and I've seen folks point out other robot builder's design faults and sometimes it can feel like a personal attack, but as long as we focus on critiques as valued input and an effort to share knowledge then I think we'll keep a positive outlook.

No comments:

Post a Comment